Public Holidays in London
When planning a trip to a foreign country, it is always a good idea to look up its public holidays.
With this information, it is easier to plan your stay as some museums and attractions close during certain bank holidays.
- New Year: 1 January
- Good Friday: (the date changes from year to year).
- Easter Monday: (the date changes from year to year).
- St George’s Day (patron saint of England): 23 April (It is custom to wear a red rose in one’s lapel).
- Early May bank holiday: First Monday in May
- Spring bank holiday: Last Monday in May
- Summer bank holiday: Last Monday in August
- Christmas: 25 December
- Boxing Day (St. Stephen’s Day): 26 December. During the nineteenth century, the English upper class would give their servants the presents that they had received for Christmas that they hadn’t liked. Nowadays, Boxing Day is the first day of sales in the UK.